The Ronaldinho Flip Flap
Watching this move at full speed the way Ronaldinho does it is unbelievable. Ronaldinho is by far the best player in the world to do the flip flap. However, many players make the mistake of seeing it and thinking they can’t do it. Few players train to perfect this move and never add it to their bag of tricks. This move, like many of Ronaldinho’s other moves, originate from futsal. Therefore, futsal is a great place to practice this move. However, the move is surprisingly more deceiving than it is difficult. Below I have shared a few tips to get help you started so that soon you can do the flip flap.
Some key points on the flip flap:
- perform this move in a game situation when in a tight space. This could include in a corner or on the sideline. Ronaldinho typically does this move when he’s in the corner.
- immediately after completing the move you will have created enough space to cross the ball with the other foot. Therefore, cross the ball. Don’t continue to dribble and do too much.
- practice, practice, practice. Start by doing it 30 times per day. The flip flap surprisingly becomes much easier the more you practice.
- Start out slowly and then gradually increase the speed at which you perform the move.
- concentrate on snapping the foot. Note: you are essentially pushing the ball to the outside with either foot and then snapping the ankle inward.
- The better balance and leg strength you have, the further you’ll be able to push the ball outward before pulling it back. Therefore, work on you balance and leg strength. To read more on building leg strength for soccer click here.
Watch the master show us how it’s done! Joga Bonito.